Vengeance (3X19) Mar 24, 2012 11:28:36 GMT 1
Post by phillydi on Mar 24, 2012 11:28:36 GMT 1
As season three begins its race to the grand finale, we have a Sam-centric episode entitle - Vengeance. Writer Frank Military has been very prolific this year with his fourth script of the season, and it’s always good to see James Whitmore, Jr. behind the camera. Whenever I watch Human Traffic (2:1) I appreciate his directing skills more and more. It remains one of my all time favorite episodes to this day.
Go back to season one and you’ll find Sam interrogating a group of Navy Seals in The Only Easy Day (1:2). In Vengeance it’s another close-knit Seal team who are accused of the murder of a Navy Intel Officer. Once again, Sam goes in to cross-examine the team.
The autopsy of the officer reveals certain signs that Sam recognizes. He knows that Seals love knives and they can have different fighting techniques that leave a signature. But he assures Callen that a Seal couldn’t do the killing. As Nate once said, being a Seal is a big part of who Sam is. If these guys are dirty, it threatens his very identity.
Callen and Sam need to interview a team of Seals that are on their way to a very critical mission but Callen pulls the team off the plane. Callen is not very accommodating or sympathetic during the interrogations and berates Sam for not doing his job when he remained silent during the interviews. Sam wants to go it alone. He feels only a Seal can get through to another Seal. Kensi comments that Sam is interrogating his family and from the look on his face you can tell it’s killing him too.
As the investigation goes on, the Seals are looking more and more like the culprits. Did they kill for drugs, another man’s girl friend or even worse…selling secrets to the enemy? Callen is left with the job of having to convince Sam…and it’s not an easy task.
Finally, one Seal is going to take the fall for the team and Sam doesn’t buy it. He knows what they are up to. He asks Callen to bring them all in the room at the same time and to trust him. Callen realizes Sam is only doing what he has to do. The scene was intense and Sam was brilliant in getting to the truth. Seal to Seal…. it was a great moment.
Hetty once told Sam he was much more than this job and much more than a Seal. He proves it here. His decision to let the team go can cost Sam dearly but he knows they have an important job to do. It was worth jeopardizing his job. But Callen tries to prove to Hetty that what Sam did was right in letting them go. Once again, he trusts his partner implicitly and would go to the mat to protect Sam’s integrity and honor. Just like the Navy Seals….it’s what partners do.
Sam was so proud of those men at the end. It made your heart swell. Well written and well acted. LL Cool J...you were a joy to watch. Bravo Zulu!
Best Lines of the Show:
• Eric: You are Hot Shot 7….I thought you would be ….
• Deeks: That’s what I’m talking about…huh? A little road trip? We can all go down together, eating junk food, talk about our feelings. Got some Kenny Loggins on CD.
Sam & Callen: Separate cars!
Deeks: No! What? Come on! What about a little Foot Loose, a little This is It?
Kensi: Ok. If you sing Whenever I call You Friend even once, I swear you’re jumping out of a moving car!
Deeks starts singing
Kensi: Sam…Callen. Wait up!
Hetty: Got the car to yourself again?
Deeks: Works every time.
Highlights of the Show:
• Sam is known as a legend in Seal lore….no surprise there…huh?
• Sam pulling the team in together and demanding the truth was chilling.
• We find that Sam was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy….the back bone of the Navy.
• Sam and Callen taking Eric’s X Box away is fun, except for Eric of course!
• Ok, so Deeks can’t sing….LOL! Although we know ECO can sing quite well...but love how Deeks is faking it!
• Wouldn’t have thought Deeks was a Kenny Loggins kind of guy, well ok…
• Ready for my close up Ms. Lange…
• Geez, almost though Deeks was a goner when that car exploded out of the garage!
• I love watching these two working together. Whether by hand signals or banter, they are great and getting better as the show progresses.
A lot of nice bromance going on tonight between Sam and Callen. Check out my column In the Bullpen on NCISLA Fan Blog which explores their complicated partnership in detail. Go to: ncislafan.blogspot.com/search/label/In%20the%20Bullpen